Episode 161: Searching for a Job with Laurie Barth
Laurie Barth joins us to talk about her experience of looking for and applying for a job. What it's like in 2021 to search for a job? How do you know when to say you don't know? How do you figure out if you're a good fit for a job? And should employers care about education?
Recording date: Nov 11, 2021
John Papa @John_Papa
Ward Bell @WardBell
Dan Wahlin @DanWahlin
Craig Shoemaker @craigshoemaker
Laurie Barth @LaurieOnTech
Brought to you by
- 01:27 Our first jobs
- 03:27 Guest introduction
- 06:32 What is it like to search for a job?
- 08:16 Sponsor: Ag Grid
- 09:21 Is it a good idea to look around at job options?
- 13:39 Everyone makes mistakes
- 17:17 Elon Musks interview process
- 21:47 Are open ended questions good to ask in interviews?
- 26:18 It really depends on where in your career you are
- 30:31 How do you know when to say you don't know?
- 32:39 Sponsor: IdeaBlade
- 33:37 Getting a job at Netflix
- 37:22 How do you figure out if you're a good fit
- 41:03 Don't ask "why you quit your last job?"
- 43:03 Should we care about education level?
- 44:43 Final thoughts
Podcast editing on this episode done by Chris Enns of Lemon Productions.